Proact Managed Cloud Services provide infrastructure and cloud services to customers in the UK and across Europe. The infrastructure services provide IaaS, DRaaS, BaaS and a wide range of remote monitoring and management products including storage, network and hypervisor. Our MCS Engineers are responsible for the operation, maintenance and enhancement of this multitenant infrastructure and customer estates falling under our service-management umbrella.
We have an opening for an individual who would prefer to work outside of normal working hours on a flexible basis performing maintenance and upgrade activities at pre-agreed times with our customers. The primary skills for this role are NetApp and VMware, you must be a self-starter, motivated and be able to work confidently unsupervised during maintenance activities. Proact maintain a manned 24×7 Service Desk, the duty team leader and on-call MCS managers will be your escalation points outside of office hours.
Proact will offer this role as home based contracted to work 37.5 hrs a week, You will be expected to work on average 25hrs a week after 7pm on weekdays and any agreed time at weekends. It is expected the majority of this OOH time will initially be spent during weekends, as you demonstrate the ability to complete the activities without service interruption it is expected this balance may be able to shift to a weekday overnight slot. The remaining time will be spent during core busines hours working with teams organising and scheduling OOH work (as example attending the change advisor board advising on your activities). You will be expected to travel to a Proact office or Data Centre when required for activities such as team meetings and tasks essential to your role.
There is also an opportunity for some onsite travel to both Proact and customer data centres where the work requires a local presence. This is a challenging yet rewarding technical position with focus on remote maintenance and upgrade of our managed infrastructure; having a well-developed and time-proven core of IT skills coupled with an in-depth understanding of the underlying theory is therefore essential. These skills will be leveraged through the implementation of new service deployments, service improvements and troubleshooting – all while planning and implementing technical changes through ITIL-driven change control.
- To perform upgrades, patching and other maintenance activities on NetApp, VMware & Zerto infrastructure.
- Liaise with Service Delivery Managers and third parties in order to plan and carry out changes and upgrades to customer services and infrastructure.
- Troubleshoot 4th line technical problems, identify and implement workable solutions, keeping key parties informed of progress and resolution.
- Proactively identify re-occurring problems and suitable mechanisms for minimising these, documenting all configurations.
- Ability to research ideas and concepts in order to source suitable technical solutions or to resolve complex problems.
- To keep abreast of developments in IT in order to enhance existing services and future developments.
- Five years of enterprise Systems Administration & Maintenance experience.
- Upgrade of Data OnTap on NetApp Cluster Mode storage systems.
- Hardware Upgrades and Disk Expansion of NetApp Cluster Mode systems.
- Upgrade of VMware vCentre and ESXi Servers
- Core skills/knowledge must include a sound understanding of TCP/IP & UDP/IP (IPv4 & IPv6), fundamentals of network routing & firewalling, DNS, NTP etc.
- Knowledge of ancillary services such as authentication mechanisms (Kerberos/NTLM/LDAP/TLS & SSL etc).
Three of the following required.
- Strong skills/knowledge in NAS and SAN storage (particularly NetApp and Pure)
- Qualified in VMware VSphere (or 3+ years of experience)
- Strong skills/knowledge in network load balancing (Citrix Netscaler).
- Strong skills/knowledge in MS Server 2016/2019 and associated Active Directory methodologies.
- Strong skills/knowledge in Microsoft SQL, MS Exchange or MS Hyper-V
- Experience in Enterprise Backup and DR Technologies (Commvault, Veeam, Zerto)
- Zerto replication and DR technologies
- Security in virtual environments (Trend DSM and Cylance)
- Automation in virtual environments (VMware NSX/Orchestrator/vCloud Director)
- Previous Experience in a Service Provider environment.
- Hands on experience in a large IT environment. (multinational / multisite)
- Previous ITIL and SLA based support experience.
- Previous experience taking part in technical escalations
- Proven ability remaining calm and thinking clearly during challenging technical issues.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Red Hat certified
- Microsoft Certified
- Citrix Certified
- VMware Certified
- NetApp Certified
- Private Comprehensive health care cover with AXA
- Company pension Scheme
- 25 Holidays
- 3 charity days fully paid/ year
- Option to purchase another 5 days Annual leave
- Company Laptop and Mobile phone