Job Title: MCS Infrastructure and Data Centre Manager
Department: MCS Operations
Responsible to: Chief Technical Officer
The MCS infrastructure and Data Centre manager is responsible for the MCS Data Centres and the delivery of planned work within the MCS organisation. The manager has line management responsibility for a cross skilled team of resources who are able to deliver new infrastructure and changes to existing technology stacks. The cross skilled team has both junior and senior members and the team manager must work with the resource bookings to achieve the highest level of utilisation.
The manager will be responsible for infrastructure within the Proact data centres and will work with the Product Support Group and Contracts teams to install and maintain the hardware in the data centres.
The MCS infrastructure & configuration management will work primarily with the MCS bookings process which will be driven by the transition and project management team bookings. The manager will host daily SCRUM meetings to assess progress on existing tasks and allocate new tasks from the backlog report. The projects team will continue to participate in OOH support cover and where required participate in P1 incidents. The team manager will be responsible for prioritising bookings between different projects so that contention is dealt with at a management level and not in the resource teams.
Statement of Job Purpose
- To manage the MCS infrastructure & configuration management teams and prioritise the workload to the team members.
- To maintain a project to staff alignment to promote task ownership in the team.
- Work with key members of staff to understand the current business priorities.
- Engage with the Project Managers, Transition and SDMs on a regular basis to proactively plan out projects into a programme of work.
- To review MCS requests and prioritise them into the bookings calendar.
- To maintain the MCS data centre equipment with PSG and Contracts.
- Proactively plan data centre maintenance activities.
- To work with central service delivery team to measure and declare vendor license usage.
- To line manage technical teams in a productive and positive way.
- To develop the skills of the team to meet project requests.
- To contribute positively to the achievement of Proact’s overall values and objectives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the delivery of hosted infrastructure for New MCS customers.
- Responsible for the delivery for large changes to MCS Infrastructure.
- Working with the transition team to deliver new customer environments and services.
- Responsible for the Data Centre Maintenance planning.
- Responsible for configuration management and monitoring of Data Centre Assets.
- Responsible for the coordination and prioritisation of MCS bookings.
- Host daily SCRUM meetings with the resource teams.
- Ensuring the team have the relevant skills for the services offered.
- Working closely with project and transition managers.
- Working closely with the MCS resource coordinator to prioritise bookings and maintain a backlog report.
- Responsible for the scheduling of overtime.
- Responsible for the measurement of license usage and vendor declarations.
Line Management Responsibilities
- Understand the technical roadmap and objectives for each year and plan team activities to support it.
- Recruitment of new staff.
- Development of existing staff and skills through monthly 1:1 recording a log in Cascade.
- Hosting of weekly team meetings to provide an update on departmental news, new wins and project status.
- Review the skills matrix and plan training based on skills gaps (based on bookings calendar backlog, and minimum of two heads per skill).
- Managing a per team Service Improvement Plan (SIP) and review quarterly with the responsible team leader.
- Maintaining Job Descriptions for each job role in their team.
- Educate staff on new customer contracts and customers business value.
- Debrief staff following MIRs and other serious incidents.
- Review team changes and make sure documentation is complete.
- Contribute to the monthly MCS status report.
- Feedback product issues and improvements to the Service and Product Managers.
Regular Activities and Frequency
Review MCS bookings and prioritise requests
Host a daily SCRUM team meeting, and review the backlog
Attend CAB (Tuesday and Friday)
Attend MCS transition call
Host local team meetings
Licence Measurement and Declaration
Contribute to the monthly MCS report
Review the capacity management reports, procure and install new hardware to meet the capacity demands.
Review team SIP and plan improvements
Host 1:1 meetings with each team member. Provide feedback on documentation, change adherence, technical capability and identify gaps in team that can be filled.
Provide via CSD a staff utilisation and forward planning report
Review the project requests against the skills matrix and schedule appropriate training.
Plan and execute data centre maintenance
Review the MCS data centre budget and advise of new allocations
Review the MCS strategy and ensure team is aligned to goals
Common Requirements for all Posts
- To work within the framework of Proact UK’s policies and procedures, ensuring that your work furthers the core values and objectives.
- To undertake health and safety duties and responsibilities appropriate to the post, at all times having regard to your own and others’ health and safety.
- To provide excellent customer and client care in dealings with staff, clients and members of the public.
- To contribute to the development of a professional working environment within Proact UK.
- To have a commitment to your own development and a willingness to undertake relevant training opportunities.
- To have a flexible approach to work in order to meet deadlines.
- To perform any other reasonable duties in consultation with your line manager.
- (If required) From time to time undertake some cross site working.
This job description is a guide to the work you will initially be required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances.
Personal Attributes Required
GCSE Grade C or above in English and Maths, or equivalent qualification
A level qualification in relevant subjects
ITIL Practitioner Certification, or hold the relevant skills
Experience & Knowledge
At least 5 years’ experience in a Technical Consultant role
Minimum of 3 years’ experience utilising an ITIL service management framework
Managing a team of 5-8 members of staff
Experience of working in a multiple site environment
Experience of delivering medium to large IT transformation projects with multiple vendor technology
Working knowledge of LAN\WAN infrastructure
Working knowledge of current network protocols and standards, including TCP/IP, DNS, and DHCP
Experience of drafting clear and comprehensive documentation to support service delivery and transition processes
Experience of dealing directly with customers at senior level
Experience of working in a flexible team environment
Ability to prioritise multiple tasks and manage own time, with an organised approach.
Ability to prioritise tasks, issues and risks across a number of customers to deliver services within SLA using your own and your teams skills
Ability to follow documented procedures
Problem-solving abilities and experience with problem management and resolution
Understanding and experience of IT industry change control process
Understanding of business issues that may affect delivery of projects and solutions
Excellent communication skills, with the ability and willingness to communicate in a clear manner to customers and the business
Self-motivation, independent-mindedness and ability to use initiative to highlight issues and propose new/different solutions
Ability to identify and highlight potential new opportunities to sales team
Experience of handling customer escalations
Ability to influence external partners relevant to the business
Ability to develop key relationships within the vendors community
Ability to asses a situation or problem and then to take/recommend the appropriate actions
Ability to mentor Junior members of the team
Ability to act as a technical escalation point for all team members
Ability to deal with varied situations with limited guidance
Ability to create an environment which allows people to improve the way they work
Ability to work successfully with a wide range of people
Willingness to adapt to change
Willingness to travel as required
Willingness to work outside normal working hours, as required
* E = Essential
D = Desirable
- Private Comprehensive health care cover with AXA
- Company pension Scheme
- 25 days Holidays
- 3 charity days fully paid/ year
- Option to purchase another 5 days Annual leave
- Company Laptop and Mobile phone