The Director of service operations will be responsible for the technical excellence and successful operations of Proact IT UK MCS services. You will work with your operational management team to deliver an industry leading managed services capability for Proact hosted, on premise and cloud hosted solutions.
Essential functions and responsibilities
- Represent service operations inside the UK Senior Leadership team.
- Maintain Proact Data Centres and customers environments to best practise configuration and security standards.
- To maintain security standards at a minimum ISO27001 and PCI DSS levels for the respective environments.
- To maintain suitable change catlogs for the successful and repeat execution of changes for the in scope environments.
- To regularly train staff and maintain to a high standard the technical, operational and business processes to support the MCS contracts, service deliverables and environments.
- To establish and maintain building block architectures and bills of materials to standardise and replicate common products such as PHC, BaaS, and DRaaS.
- To maintain sufficient capacity within the data centres to provide sufficient space for rapid recovery of systems in the event of service failure.
- Maintain sufficient documentation to support the implementation, operations and upgrade of systems including architecture blueprints, detailed designs, low level configurations, build standards, rack configurations, wiring diagrams, CMDB, SoMs, IPAM, Licence and Support information.
- Establish sufficient and regular operational meetings to allow the communication of operational priorities, actions and issues to all teams involved in the delivery of MCS services.
- Establish and maintain skills matrices and a work request process for the delivery of planned upgrades, changes and incidents.
- Maintain service improvement plans for each data centre and platform and demonstrate continual improvement of each service.
- To maintain patching of all devices including network, firewalls, storage and operating systems to a 30 day and 90 day patch regime depending on platform and CVSS score.
- Take responsibility for your reporting lines, and work with operational and projects queues to deliver high quality deliverables to our managed services customers.
- Motivate and coach individual team members in assigned tasks and personal development activities.
- Working with Service Delivery and Transition Teams and contribute to their function, ensuring service quality, service deployments and client expectations are met or exceeded.
- Ensure that support and implementation for managed service customers is fulfilled within the customer defined SLA and services remain contractually compliant. Should a SLA breach occur contribute to the work of Continual Service Improvement.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Work inside the UK senior leadership team to help lead the UK organisation as a whole.
- Continuously improve the quality and standards of MCS.
- Work with teams to establish root causes of service outages and contribute to the creation and QA of major incident reports.
- Contribute to management and problem resolution for significant incidents affecting managed service customer or platforms related to the aligned services.
- Prepare for and pass audits from external vendors and auditing bodies.
- Provide out of hours on call incident escalation for the MCS services
- Collaborate with Service Managers on a regular basis and attend Service Manager boards and forums
- Contribute to continual service improvement in conjunction with Product Manager, including feedback where changes to the product definition, deliverables or pricing are required to reflect actual operational capability
- Contribute to risk assessments, security control assessment and audits for compliance and regulatory requirements including ISO27001 and GDPR
- Travel to other Proact sites for operational and line management responsibilities (primarily Glasgow)
- Line management of local or remote MCS management team and their direct reports
- Maintain a skills matrix for your team and regularly review to identify skills and training needs
- Maintaining Job Descriptions for each job role in their team
- Ensuring the CMDB and ITSM are kept up to date
- Measure staff utilisation and demonstrate when additional headcount is required
- Collaborate with the Data Centre and Client Service Manager on an ongoing basis regarding service updates, modifications, improvements and innovations
- Collaborate with MCS operational leads across group for the aligned services and technologies regarding adherence to and improvement of defined standards
- Past experience of working in an infrastructure management role
- Past experience in working in a Multi-Tenant, Managed Services or Cloud environments
- Excellent Communication Skills (Verbal/Written), including knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Visio
- In-depth understanding of data centre infrastructure (e.g. storage, compute, networking etc.)
- Expert knowledge of at least one infrastructure layer (storage, network, compute, hypervisor, backup, public cloud)
- Excellent line management, coaching and motivational skills
- To be able to demonstrate how to deliver high availability and low incident data centre environments
- Working with a security team and CSO to deliver secure operating environments, and demonstrate a working knowledge of security best practise
- Desire to have technical systems well documented and operated to standard
- Desire to continually improve technical configuration, operational efficiency and service quality
- Desire to take ownership of managed service platforms operated in local country or other countries across Proact group
- Desire to impart knowledge to others and promote a best-practice ethos
- Previous experience of designing and operating infrastructure platforms in adherence to SLAs
- Be able to manage and prioritise multiple activities
- Understanding and experience of ISO27001 and ISO9001 frameworks
- Implementing Scrum in an operational environment
- Working with and getting the best out of ServiceNow
- Understanding of Cyber security threats, controls and best practise
- Past experience in working at a large end user
- Previous hands-on configuration or implementation role
- Past experience of working in a group of companies comprised of multiple country organisations
- Knowledge of PowerShell, other scripting methods or Rest API usage
- Previous experience of contributing to improvements to commercial managed service products
- Minimum ITIL v3 Foundation certified
|Excellent MS Excel, Word and Visio Skills||Good Knowledge of Enterprise storage platforms|
|Good knowledge of core data centre infrastructure components||Good Knowledge of VMware vSphere|
|Expert knowledge in at least one infrastructure layer (storage, network, compute, hypervisor, backup, public cloud)||Good knowledge of LAN & WAN technologies|
|Broad range of knowledge in core infrastructure server software (i.e. MS SQL, MS Exchange, Oracle, Active-Directory, etc.)||Understanding of public cloud offerings|
|Good knowledge of Windows, Linux/UNIX operating systems||Scripting languages / API experience|
|Good knowledge of backup products||Experience of creating and managing workflows within an ITSM toolset|
|Good knowledge of monitoring solutions||Understanding of Managed Services Vendor license Models e.g. Microsoft SPLA|
|Good experience of acceptance testing, failover testing and disaster recovery solutions||Familiarity with both structured (e.g. SharePoint) and unstructured (e.g. Wiki) document management systems|
In return Proact will offer you:
- A career within a growing and successful UK and pan-European business
- A competitive salary + bonus
- Company car/car allowance
- Laptop + Mobile Phone
- 30 days annual leave
- Private Healthcare
- Bespoke Reward & Recognition scheme, inclusive of long-service element